School History

In 1850, Dr.Derry, Bishop of Clonfert, invited the Sisters of Mercy to come to Loughrea, to make a foundation of that order in the town.In 1852, a two-storey building at the corner of Cross St. and Moore St. known as St.Vincent’s Convent, was opened.In 1930, our present school, St.Ita’s replaced the old school. The new school continued to operate under the patronage of the Sisters of Mercy until 2010, when the trusteeship was transferred to the Diocese of Clonfert.